Faf du Plessis is one of the best batsman of the South Africa cricket. He has won many games for his team. Now, Faf du Plessis has divulged the darkest moment of his career.
Faf has promagulated that he and his wife got the death threats after losing the quarter-final match against New Zealand by 49 runs in 2011 world cup.
New Zealand scored a modest total of 222. South Africa could easily chased down the target and made the place into the last four. But South Africa were bowled out for 172. Faf du Plessis put up a fight against Newzealand and scored 36 runs off 43 balls. But he couldn’t win his team and his efforts went in vain.
Speaking with Espncricinfo’s cricket monthly, He recalled the game of 2011 World cup and said,
“I received death threats after that [match]. My wife received death threats. We turned on social media and we were blown away. It became very personal. There were some very offensive things said that I won’t repeat.”
“It makes you introverted towards people and you put a shield up. All players go through this and it forces us to keep our circles very small. It’s why I’ve worked so hard on creating a safe space within our camp,” He added.
— ESPNcricinfo (@ESPNcricinfo) May 17, 2021
Faf has announced his retirement from test cricket earlier this year in February. But he will continue to play the white-ball cricket for Proteas.